Chocolate mousse

I have this really cool idea for a dessert and I plan to make it in the summer. For that, I wanted to experiment with the ideas of a mousse and a cremeux. I found this decent recipe for a really nice chocolate mousse, and I have some good quality cooking chocolate which I used. I’d recommend, if you have the choice, go for a richer, thicker chocolate when making a mousse. The basic principle of a Mousse is that you make lots of air bubbles in your mousse before it sets. The problem is that air slowly escapes, and your mousse will slowly become flat. That’s why you use chocolate. When you heat chocolate, it melts, and when you cool it, it sets. If you mix in the chocolate with the airy mixture, it will set while cooling, and it will form around the air bubbles. When that happens, there’s no place for the air to go, since the chocolate is already set, and it just stays in there.

I made a basic chocolate mousse, and I set it in a few glasses to cool. I found it a bit boring to just have a mousse, and so I decided to top it off with some whipped cream. I whipped some cream until it was absolutely stiff and left it to the side. Plain vanilla whipped cream is nice, but it’s better to add an interesting flavour to it. Basically, I took some red wine in a pan and left it to reduce for a bit. I also added some finely diced strawberries into the wine. Then, I used a fine sieve to filter the reduction into the cream, and whipped it a bit more. I also wanted a bit of a crunchy addition, so I made a few small tuiles to go on top. When I served the mouse, I spooned a dollop of cream on top and crumbled some of the tuile over the cream, and that was that.

Note: Make sure your eggs are pasteurised when making a mousse. Do not use raw eggs if they aren’t pasteurised, as they could contain harmful pathogens. If the eggs aren’t pasteurised or you’re not sure, you can pasteurise them at home. Put 3 or 4 whole eggs(with shell) into a saucepan, making sure that they all fit neatly in one layer. Cover them with water until there’s a decent margin - I’d say about an inch above the eggs. Then, carefully heat the water to between 55 and 60°C. DO NOT LET THE WATER GO HIGHER THAN 60°C. IF THE TEMPERATURE REACHES 61, THE EGGS WILL GET COOKED. Keep it at 60° for 3 minutes and then remove the eggs. They are now safe to use. I’ve never tried doing it in the oven, but if you want to, that MIGHT be a good idea too. Don’t blame me if the eggs get cooked though.

Mousse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwLS7uLcSw

Tuile - https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/classic-tuiles

Comments

Popular Posts