Shroom Burger

We had some good quality large portobello mushrooms that were about to go bad, so I used them to make a shake shack shroom burger. Now shake shack’s shroom burgers are delicious on their own, but I wanted to do something more, to elevate the flavour. I made the basic mix, baked my mushrooms, everything you’d see in the recipe. The first thing I decided was that I’d make my own mayo(Mostly because we didn’t actually have mayo at home). I made the fresh mayo using the ingredients in the recipe, but I also decided to smoke it, to give it that extra flavour. I used the mayo to make the shake shack sauce, and left it aside for later.

I also made some caramelised onions. This wasn’t in the recipe, but it’s important that a dish has more than one note. In this case, the mushrooms were savoury, covered in salt and pepper, the cheese was salty, the mayo was acidic and salty, everything revolved around salt. The mayo did help cut through the monotony by adding a little bit of a lemon and vinegar punch, but I wanted a bit more of that flavour. I sliced some onions and caramelised them with the help of a bit of sugar.

Before I assembled the burger, I toasted the buns with some of the mayo, because using mayo while toasting bread gives it a beautiful crunch. If I could, I would have made fresh burger buns, but I was out of bread flour. I put a tiny bit more mayo on the top bun with a large helping of the caramelised onions. A tip here, taste all of your elements individually before you make your dish. My onions were beautifully sweet, but I added too much, which overpowered the other flavours. When eating, we had to remove some of the onions. However, the onions added a nice layer and really complimented the mushrooms.

Personally, the recipe below is okay, but I wasn’t blown away. The flavours were all good, but there were a few issues. Most importantly, the cheese filling is too little. I’d make between 1.5 and 2 times the cheese filling for the burger. My mushrooms were on the smaller side and even then I felt the lack of filling. (Side note here: Make sure your mushrooms are bigger than the burger buns). I also wasn’t a huge fan of the secret sauce. The mayo tasted very good, but I think the issue was the ketchup(I do also hate ketchup, so I may be a bit biased). I’d recommend leaving the ketchup out and maybe using a spoonful of fresh tomato puree, which gives a bit of the tomato’s sourness and its natural sweetness without feeling sugary and synthetic.

Also…my mum went down with COVID the next day, and I doubt the oil fried patty helped, so if you have any other ideas for how to fry the mushrooms and cheese, let me know.

Shroom burger - https://food52.com/recipes/71249-shake-shack-s-shroom-burger

Comments

Popular Posts