Stuck in San Francisco...

I spent most of last week stuck in San Francisco cause United Airlines can be infuriating, but here's the upside, San Francisco has some bomb food. Here's a trip diary of the things I ate. 


Paper Son Coffee + Neighbour's Bakehouse

Hands down the best meal of the trip. I went to get lunch and coffee with a friend (Hey Jaden!) and both of us loved the food here. My coffee was the Pandan Aerocano, and it was not bad at all. The beans were good, and the pandan flavour is a great pairing for the bitter coffee, my only critique would be that there was too much sweet pandan syrup in it...let me taste the coffee for what it is! Also I spilled half of my coffee (all over Jaden...sorry)

Either way, the highlight here was the food. Between the two of us, we ordered the Mushroom danish, char siu croissant and their current special, the Amelie. As a mushroom lover, I think the danish was pretty solid. Simple, well executed flavours on some decent bread. The char siu croissant was even better. Despite it not being 100% fresh, the meat didn't lose its tenderness, and the balance of flavours was good. For me, the Amelie was the star of the show. The vanilla custard was gorgeous and rich, and it felt almost like eating a creme brulee. I'd maybe tone down the jam inside a bit, and it would be nice to have a fork and knife to cut it with (nothing against being a bit messy tho, that's the way to enjoy good food) but I think that the idea is very good, and the star of the dish: the custard, is 100% what it needs to be. 


Blue Bottle Coffee

Got a simple cold brew and a brown butter blondie. The cold brew was decent, what you'd expect from a good coffee chain, but discernibly from a chain and not from a quiet independent cafe on the corner of your block. The blondie was also nice, again a good idea with mediocre execution, but blue bottle's famous for its coffee, not its food. I'll try to make these at some point in Bangalore, but they're definitely worth trying to make. 


Unnamed protein shake place + Free Prime (idk why)

Good protein shake. It was dark chocolate and avocado, and honestly I never would've thought to dump an avocado into a nice rich chocolatey shake, but man did it help the texture and flavour. The slight freshness broke a little bit through the richness, which was exactly what I needed after I was halfway through the drink. 


Also...Prime tastes horrible but I was walking around and someone just handed me 2 cans of prime to try, so I did, and I really don't get the hype. It tasted worse than every other energy drink (maybe with the exception of red bull) and I legitimately felt sick after.


Mochi Waffle Corner

I was waiting for a friend, and it ended up taking an extra hour, so in the heat I decided to get a Dalgona matcha tea with boba and strawberry jelly. The dalgona was a bit overkill but it was nice, and the strawberry jelly was such a good addition to this drink. Lowkey top tier, definitely recommend going here if you're around Mountain View.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts